Other Academic / Educational Activities
Activities that fall under this category are often sponsored activities referred to as an invitee event. Applicable fees apply to these types of events. Examples of activities that fall within this category are conferences, symposia, and other academic/educational activities hosted by UBC faculty and/or staff. These activities may also include classes, courses and programs offered by UBC, but which do not lead to a UBC degree or diploma approved by Senate, which includes all courses offered by Continuing Studies.
Rental Fees apply at a 50% discount if the activity falls within one or more of the category items below:
- Event/Activity is charging fees for attendee’s (admission, registration etc.), or
- Event/Activity is charging invited vendors to attend, or
- Event/Activity where vendors/businesses are promoting and/or selling services or items, or
- Event/Activity where an external business is paid by the University to attend an event
The University recognizes these events as having an affiliation to the University by way of invite, and require payment for the use of space, and recovery of event related labour costs. The following fees may apply:
- Space booking fee at 50% discount of the regular rate
- Facilities Services fee for labour (work orders)
- IT Services fee (work orders)
- Extra-ordinary Cleaning fees
- Damage or replacement costs
The sponsoring department is responsible for payment of fees by Journal Voucher. Costs may be requested in advance from the Central Booking Office and from Facilities for budget planning purposes.
Download Invitee Payment Authorization Form (PDF)
Cancellation fees are:
- If the cancellation notice is received by UBC more than 30 calendar days prior to the first day of the Booking, UBC will not charge a cancellation fee.
- If the cancellation notice is received by UBC between seven to thirty (7 – 30) calendar days prior to the first date of the Booking, the Renter agrees to pay UBC 50% of the Rent in respect of the cancelled Booking or portion thereof; and
- If the cancellation notice is received by UBC less than seven (7) calendar days prior to the first date of the Booking, the Renter agrees to pay 100% of the Rent in respect of the cancelled Booking or portion thereof.
UBC may cancel the Booking upon written notice to the Renter at least seven (7) calendar days prior to the first booking date. UBC will use reasonable efforts to identify an alternative Rental Venue that is acceptable to the Renter.
If you have any questions regarding your event, please email email@example.com for assistance.